ILAS Seminar-E2 :Ethical issues in Health sciences（健康科学における倫理的課題）
|科目ナンバリング||U-LAS70 10002 SE50||開講年度・開講期||2021 ・ 前期|
|教員||POUDYAL，Hemant (医学研究科 講師)|
This course will explore major ethical issues in the health sciences and introduce institutional positions and debate various topics based on relevant case studies. Classical themes such as end-of-life care, euthanasia, animal/human research, and emerging topics such as stem cell research and genetically modified organisms will be covered.
This course aims to enable the students to think clearly and carefully through their own positions on important ethical issues in healthcare. Students will be taught to craft well-argued, well-written papers, express their own views clearly in class discussions, and engage their classmates' views.
1. To achieve familiarity with some basic ethical frameworks
2. To identify, analyze and summarize ethical issues
3. Clearly and carefully develop own positions on important ethical issues
4. Express your own views clearly in-class discussion and engage the position of others
In principle, the course will be offered along the following plan. However, the order or the number of times for each theme may change depending on the progression of the course or handling of current topics.
1. Ethical reasoning
2. Principles and theories of bioethics
3. Request to die: Doctor-assisted suicide
5. Assisted reproduction
6. Seriously ill infants
7. Ethical issues in testing for genetic diseases
8. Ethical issues in transplantation
9. Medical research on animals
10. Clinical Research
11. & 12. Embryos, stem cells, and cloning
13. Genetically modified plants and dietary futures
14.Healthcare policy-Right to health care
Classroom participation and discussion 40%
Term Paper 60%
1. Students are expected to attend classes, having completed the assigned reading and writing, and ready to contribute to discussions.
2. Students are required to write a report on one of the cases covered in class for which they will do additional research independently.
What Makes an Academic Presentation Great? A complete guide for students, researchers, and educators., Poudyal Hemant, , ISBN:978-1070985534
Developing Communication Skills: A Handbook for Japanese Speakers , Poudyal Hemant, , ISBN:978-1792706707
|参考書等||Reference materials will be provided during the class.|