G-ECON31 5A104 SJ42
G-ECON31 5A104 SJ43
G-ECON31 5A104 SJ38
|Year/Term||2021 ・ Second semester|
|Number of Credits||2||Course Type||Seminar|
|Target Year||Target Student|
Deqiang Liu (Graduate School of Economics Professor)
Rusudan Kevkhishvili (Graduate School of Economics Senior Lecturer)
OKA TOSHIHIRO (School of Government Professor)
|Outline and Purpose of the Course||
The purpose of this class is to divide into small groups to examine and analyze materials and data. The three areas of analysis are macroeconomics, microeconomics, and institutions or history. In each of these areas, the groups will conduct their own research tasks and present the results to everyone.
○ Finding necessary materials and statistical data.
○ Using Excel and calculation software to perform analysis of materials and statistical data as well as simulations.
○ Performing tasks while cooperating in small groups.
○ Reporting on the tasks completed together in small groups.
|Schedule and Contents||
○ All students attend the first and last lectures; aside from that, they are divided into three large groups, and the large groups attend three sessions turn by turn (in no particular order). In each session, they are divided into small groups of about 5 people and perform the set tasks.
○ The three areas and their contents are as follows.
Macroeconomics: Performing finance tasks that require data analysis and numerical calculations.
Microeconomics: Collecting and analyzing micro data, mainly using Excel.
Institutions/History: Learning the basics of data research and basic concepts of the international political economy.
○ The classes follow the following structure.
1st Session (All Students) Orientation Lecture
2nd-13th Sessions (As Large Group-units) 3 sessions each over the 4 subsequent weeks of classes.
Week 1: Purpose and Description of each session. Assigning Task 1 (Homework 1).
Week 2: Review and discussion of the result of Task 1. Assigning Task 2 (Homework 2).
Week 3: Review and discussion of the result of Task 2. Preparing reports based on Tasks 1 and 2.
Week 4: Report on analysis results and related discussion.
14th Session (All Students) One small group selected from among the reports in each session to report to the full class.
15th Session Feedback
|Evaluation Methods and Policy||Participation in classes including attendance (30%), performance of tasks (40%), evaluation of reports of small group (30%)|
|Course Requirements||○ Please take Fundamentals of Data Analysis A or B (Acquiring credits is not a requirement). ○ It is necessary to take "Advanced Professional Development Program."|
|Study outside of Class (preparation and review)||The small groups should perform the tasks set in the previous lesson in cooperation with the group outside of class and be prepared for the next lesson.|
|Textbooks||Textbooks/References||Instructions will be given in class.|
|References, etc.||Introduced during class|