Economic History of Japan
|Numbering Code||U-ECON00 20307 LJ43||Year/Term||2021 ・ Second semester|
|Number of Credits||2||Course Type||Lecture|
|Target Year||From 2nd to 4th year students||Target Student|
|Instructor name||WATANABE JUNKO (Graduate School of Economics Professor)|
|Outline and Purpose of the Course||
An overview of the economic history of Japan from the end of the Edo period and the Meiji Restoration to recent years (mainly the prewar period).
Long-term consecutive data are used to show the differences and similarities between the prewar and postwar periods. Students see an overview of each era, and grasp the changes from prewar to postwar based on the themes in each theory.
|Course Goals||To obtain basic knowledge of the economic history of prewar Japan, and to gain the ability to examine the achievements and problems of the modern Japanese economy from a historical and broad perspective.|
|Schedule and Contents||
I. Overview the trajectory of the Japanese economy
1. The end of the Edo period and the Meiji Restoration
2. Meiji period
3. Interwar period (Taisho period to early Showa period)
4. During the war
5. Postwar period
1. Foreign realm: imperialism and colonies, industrial and trade structure, balance of payments
2. Government realm: government role, economic policy, finances
3. Corporate realm: growth of various companies, trends of conglomerates and other companies, formation of monopoly and industrial organization, competition among firms and industrial development, corporate governance, financial system and financial market, etc.
4. Household realm: labor supply and labor market, changes in class/hierarchy, labor relations = employment system, labor relations, miscellaneous businesses in farms/urban areas, labor movements/farmer movements/social movements, trends in households, etc.
|Evaluation Methods and Policy||Evaluated through regular tests (100%).|
|Course Requirements||Students are encouraged to have completed courses related to economic history and business history, such as "Introduction to Economic History & History of Social Thought," "Economic History 1," "Economic History 2," "Asian Economic History," "European and American Economic History," and "Business History of Modern Japan."|
|Study outside of Class (preparation and review)||Read the textbook and course materials in advance to prepare for the lectures. For review, study a wide range of references as well as the textbook and course materials.|
|Textbooks||Textbooks/References||三和良一 『概説日本経済史 近現代[第3版]』 (東京大学出版会). In addition to the above text book, course materials will be distributed (students can download the course material from PandA; details will be explained in the first class).|
|References, etc.||To be introduced during class.|